Pages

Blog Top Sites

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's


Well, we’ve reached the end of another year.  New Year’s Eve has never meant all that much to me.  I am not a drinker so going out and partying was never my thing.  At my age, it’s not worth feeling like crap in the morning so I don't bother.  


I guess I get that from my Mother.  My Dad always had an old bottle of Seagram’s in the cupboard in the kitchen.  On New Year’s Eve, he’d mix up some 7 and 7’s for himself and my Mother so they could have a drink while they watched the ball drop on television.  The joke was always that my Mother would “get drunk sniffing the bar rag”.  She’d have a sip or two and start complaining that her arms felt funny.  I inherited her lack of excitement about alcohol.



Early on in our marriage, Eric was a mobile disc jockey on the side so New Year’s Eve meant an evening alone (or an evening with the kids) and no one to kiss at midnight.  I went with him to a New Year's Eve party at a local hotel once, and it really wasn’t all that much fun (I wasn’t missing out on much!).  He was busy working, and I felt superfluous hanging out at someone else’s party.  Kind-of like a spare part or a fish out of water.


We used to go and see fireworks displays when the boys were younger.  When I worked at Nixon Peabody, they opened up the 14th floor, and we got to go out onto the rooftop balcony to watch the downtown display.  That was fun.  It was cold, but it was a safe spot to watch the show from.  We could also see the other displays in the area out on the horizon. 


New Year's Eve Fireworks in Rochester, NY

In later years, we even drove to Niagara Falls a few times to watch the fireworks that they set off on the Canadian side.  There was usually a cold, wet spray from the Falls, and the footing was icy. I think this picture is more breath-taking than actually being there! It looks better from the distance - you can see the splendor of the Falls better.

New Year's Eve in Niagara Falls, NY


2012 has just been an OK year for us.  The high point was definitely Matt starting his first job at Ideal Nissan on May 1st.  That was one big positive for our family.  Someone finally took a chance on him and offered him a job, and he now has 8 months’ worth of experience.


The biggest drawback of the entire year was the usual drawback to being a trucker’s wife – too much time spent apart and wishing we weren’t. All in all, it wasn't a bad year, though.

Here’s hoping 2013 has more highlights than lowlights.  Happy New Year, everyone!




SOURCES:
http://www.123rf.com/photo_16104313_beautiful-hand-made-ornamental-typography-happy-new-year-on-paper-background.html


No comments:

Post a Comment