Pages

Blog Top Sites

Friday, September 21, 2012

McD's


While waiting at McDonald’s drive-through last evening, I noticed a couple sitting and eating in one of the booths next to the window. It was an older man (50+) with white hair and a woman I assumed was his wife (she was an older redhead). 


My first thought was, “woo-hoo, some date night – dinner at McDonald’s”.  I was prepared to mentally mock these two as they ate their burgers and fries.  It’s probably partly because my Sociology class has been heartily trouncing McDonald’s (and Wal-Mart) and the “McDonaldization” of our society. If you want to read more about McDonaldization, here’s a link - http://www.mcdonaldization.com/whatisit.shtml. It’s interesting that my first inclination was to poke fun and assume they were trashy because they were grabbing a quick burger and fries.


I watched this couple for a moment, and I wondered about who they were and what they were discussing.  And, yes, they were “discussing”.  I watched them actually having a conversation with each other instead of busily tapping away at their smartphones. Too often these days you see people out for a meal, and they are busily ignoring each other as they focus on their phones.  (Yes, I have done this.)  There’s always one more thing to check, one more thing to update and one more photo to snap and post.  Technology becomes more important than loved ones.


As I watched the man and woman eating, it suddenly dawned on me what I was feeling.  Envy.  I felt envy.  I saw a couple who was able to sit down together to a meal during the week.  They were lucky to have each other. They were together, and they didn’t have kids or grandkids with them.  They were both in the same city and able to enjoy each other’s company. Yes, I was envious as I sat in my car alone waiting to order McNuggets to take home to Alex.


I spend my weekdays as a single gal, and I don’t particularly care for it. It’s been a big adjustment, and there’s probably years’ more of it ahead of me.  I’ve resigned myself to that, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. I miss you, honey.




No comments:

Post a Comment